4/14/2024

What can I do with this world but laugh.

Joe Papagoda


A hot day in the valley 
The sun shines on our noses and our necks
Children in the parks 
The sun is also upon their flesh
An old dog sleeps in the sunshine
A young one sleeps in the shade
Our noses tell us someone is barbecuing ribs 
From behind a nearby house
Smoke rises in a thin line
We are walking and with every step 
Our shoes caress the broken sidewalk
An old song comes to mind
And when we are sure we are alone
We begin to sing aloud

-----

It is still early in the spring 
Yet it is as hot as summer
Children in the park stare at the pool
It won’t open for more than a month
I am becoming an old man
What can I do with this world but laugh

-----

Later than midnight
I am awake in the emptiness
Footsteps outside my window
Could it be my son coming home
Shivering outside I can see
It is just a neighbor’s cat
Slinking by
The old cat gives me a look
And keeps going
Only the grief remains
Only the grief remains

James Lee Jobe




A student, filled with emotion and crying, implored, "Why is there so much suffering?" Suzuki Roshi replied, "No reason.”




Please support this blog with a small donation. Using the 'Buy Me A Coffee' link below is both safe and fast.
Thanks, 
James 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.