8/25/2023

A melancholy that lingers.

Katsushika Hokusai


the air is low tonight pressed down to the ground
and it welcomes me like I am a victorious soldier
just home from some distant war
the ground kisses the low air and caresses it
whispering sweet love words that I cannot make out
even though I listen closely
there is moonlight starlight street lights
headlights from passing traffic
and a blue light from television sets
filtering through the windows of the houses
even with this light I cannot make out the tops of the trees
or the roofs of the taller houses
walking in this world brings me loneliness
a melancholy that lingers long after the night is over
a new day begins so what can I do
but begin again as well
so I do

james lee jobe


All of life is a foreign country.

Jack Kerouac


Deep winter, the thick of it, with no sign yet of spring. The dark at its longest, the cold at its widest. That's for me. The shivers on my back as I mount the steps of the bus, my breath is a fog, mixing with the breath fog of all the others who are lined up, waiting to board. Everyone breathing the winter air together.

james lee jobe 


Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not.

Samuel Johnson


jlj


Since you alone are responsible for your thoughts,
only you can change them.

Paramahansa Yogananda


two valley oaks 

together we drink 

our roots move through the dark earth

toward a dampness    a creek

or an underground pool

so much drinking    now we are drunk

two old trees hoping for some music 

james lee jobe 


If you are unable to find the truth right where you are,
where else do you expect to find it?

Dōgen


Here. It's a good place to be. I no longer dream of new places to go, and I no longer miss the places of my youth. To be where I am is enough. This patch of earth. Here. This place. Home.

james lee jobe 


jlj


Thanks for reading today's post here at the poetry zendo. You might consider supporting this blog with a small donation through the Buy Me A Coffee link just below. My mobility issues no longer allow me to work. Many thanks, jlj. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.