1/26/2023

what we hid from the world


Remedios Varo, 1908-1963 CE


Things we hid.

        Those things that we hid from the rest of the world, the shame of it. And those other things, the ones we felt we should have been proud of, even though we weren’t, that we showed to anyone who would look. Things neither beautiful nor repulsive. The things that were soft enough to eat with a spoon, but we used a knife and fork anyway. No one was watching, of course. The things that the paramedics used to stop the bleeding, or the things we used to make a tail for our kite. I’m not sure which anymore, it has been a long time. The kite is gone but no one bled to death. The things we say to ourselves when the night is frightening and empty. Say them quickly. Say them now.

james lee jobe



Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring It On Home



        Do not follow the ideas of others, but learn to listen to the voice within yourself. Your body and mind will become clear and you will realize the unity of all things.

Dōgen Zenji, 1200-1253 CE




When your child dies, people keep asking how you are.

Of course they ask; they care.
It’s just hard to explain – my son died
and I have been exiled into myself.
The sentence cannot be appealed.
There is no escape or early parole.
This is the gulag of Jobe, Jobe state prison.
There are ice storms that freeze the earth,
even in summer,
and raging heat waves that scorch the earth,
even in winter.
I break rocks with a pick-ax.
I hoe weeds in the prison farm.
I count the days until my sentence is done,
marking the calendar with an 'x,'
day by day.

james lee jobe


        The first step in compassion is to notice the other’s need. It all begins with the simple act of attention.

Daniel Goleman


What's that, America?

Sad? Sure, somewhat. However,
I’ll save my lament for people,
real actual human beings,
that have been thrown to the dogs.
This happens every day.
I have no grief for a nation
of rich vampires, fat from gorging
on the blood of the third world,
and from the meat of the planet earth.
What’s that, America?
You say that times are tough?
Too bad, you've had it coming
for a long, long, time.

james lee jobe



Sonny Boy Williamson - Help Me



        May some kindness find you today, which also means I hope you share some kindness today. I'll try, too. Life is as good as we make it.

        If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. (Not every time you come here, just maybe once in awhile.) It's done safely online, and just takes a moment. I could use the supplement since my mobility issues no longer allow me to work. Thanks! 

jlj 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.