9/07/2024

the anesthetic has worn off


after my tongue was ripped from my head I continued to speak 

what is there to fear    I am the master of my own fate  

except for those thousands of random things that happen in a life 

I can't avoid death so why fear it 

and I can't avoid the sorrow 

of seeing the homeless ones on the streets 

so why not bless them with the warmth of my smile 

and whatever it is I have to share

now my tongue is lying on the sidewalk 

wiggling about as I speak    and my voice is on the air 

as if it had been sent down to earth from heaven above 

and now the clouds are listening 

and now the smiles are spreading from face to face 

leaping about like frogs at a pond 

                -for jane blue-

james lee jobe



Everybody complains that they’re so busy they haven’t got any time. But why are they so busy? It’s only their illusions that keep them busy. A person who practices zazen has time. When you practice zazen, you have more time than anyone else in the world.

Kodo Sawaki Roshi




the anesthetic has worn off 

there is no fruit on that tree   even the boxes are all empty 

in the air    no birds    in the water    no fish 

and although the sky is empty    a shadow has passed over the earth 

and the people below feel a fear that they cannot explain 

a fear without a name or a reason    imagination fails 

the anesthetic has worn off    is the operation over    was it a success 

the doctor turns away without speaking and walks out through the door 

the nurses keep their eyes on the floor

james lee jobe



Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.

Dalai Lama XIV


Just below here is the Buy Me A Coffee link. Your support is appreciated.

james 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.