5/19/2024

one for your recipe book

Each of us may be nothing more than a moving wave of change, but we are waves able to know this fact. We rise and fall in an infinitely deep and timeless sea, upright and undisturbed. We share the vast dignity of awakening.

Sallie Jiko Tisdale, “On Dignity”

Blythe Smith, Finland


The books are my true home, a fine house made of paper and words. How easy it is to open the cover of a book and move in there to live. Not forever. Just for now. 

-----

Time is an illusion 

The past is gone forever 

And the future hasn’t happened yet 

It might not happen at all 

There is only now 

What time is it 

Always now 

What day is it 

Always today  Add that to your recipe book

-----

Bless me, mother, I am but a simple man. Time and the tide sweep the sleep from my eyes, mother. What am I made of? Something that counts these scars and forgives these sins. I have cut the cloth and cast the dye, and I find my answers above, in the sky. And the questions, mother? Those I find everywhere. In the eyes of the people without a roof or even a crust of bread. Also in the eyes of the parents whose children are dead, lost in the war that never ends. In the empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. Understand, I do not lack for food but still I hunger -- for something more. Something without a name or an understanding. Something joyous. I need the night to hold me close, and the daylight to free me. I need the warmth of death and the kiss of life. Bless me, mother, I am just a simple man. And I am trying very hard to find my way. 

-----

No heaven 

No hell 

You don’t go to heaven for being good 

Being good is heaven 

You don’t go to hell for being evil 

Being evil is hell 

Try and focus on what is happening now

James Lee Jobe




LINK: Tiananmen Square, a poem by Marissa Lin


LINK: Sidetracks IV, a poem by Bei Dao


You can support this blog with an occasional small donation, please us the link below. 

Thanks, James. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.