5/02/2024

flies on the faces of the dead

Run, my dear, from anything that may not strengthen
your precious budding wings.

-Hāfez





Awaken, son of Jobe, grandson of Jobe 

Alone, Thick in this Sacramento Valley, I sleep green 
like Putah Creek. I groan the first breath of life 
and exhale on the rich farm soil. I weep like the hide 
of a tule elk, I laugh like the feathers of the turkey vulture 
as it circles high above the walnut groves. Awaken, 
son of Jobe, grandson of Jobe, you are man-strong 
and naked. Rise up from the green creek waters. 
Step out onto the roots of the elms and oaks 
that line the muddy banks. You are home. 

James Lee Jobe 




-Vincent van Gogh
Enclosed Wheat Field with Ploughman, October 1889




The Order Diptera

In America 
Only those flies
That buzz the faces of the dead
Know the meaning of the word
“Equality”

-James Lee Jobe



Greed is not kind to others.
Greed is not even kind to the greedy.

-B. D. Schiers




If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. 
THANKS, James 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.