5/25/2024

corn stalks under a full moon

"Wanting one good organic line, I wrote a thousand sonnets."

Sam Hammill

Juliana Coles


Look at my hands. I am everything my father hated, everything he feared. And look at my eyes. My father is behind my eyes, watching everything I love, knowing the whole while I never needed him, that I will never be what he wanted me to become. Truth is everything. This life belongs to me.

James Lee Jobe 



"The more we learn, the more we realize how much we still don’t know." 

Vanessa R. Sasson



I have never been a farmer, but farmland feels welcoming to me, a green field under a golden sun, or corn stalks under a full moon; these things are a blessing. Thirty-seven years I have lived in this valley. The seasons of the year, the seasons of the crops; these are the seasons of my life. And that, too, is a blessing.

James Lee Jobe 


Emil Kosa Jr


"How can you fix something bad by doing something else bad?"

Brad Warner



That I might peel away the layers of nonsense I have built around myself that hide who I am. That I might know myself before the time of knowing comes to an end, and that I might use that knowledge, such as it is, in a positive manner.

James Lee Jobe 






A poem by the late Jim Harrison:

BROOM

To remember you’re alive

visit the cemetery of your father

at noon after you’ve made love

and are still wrapped in a mammalian

odor that you are forced to cherish.

Under each stone is someone’s inevitable

surprise, the unexpected death

of their biology that struggled hard, as it must.

Now to home without looking back,

enough is enough.

En route buy the best wine

you can afford and a dozen stiff brooms.

Have a few swallows then throw the furniture

out the window and begin sweeping.

Sweep until the walls are

bare of paint and at your feet sweep

until the floor disappears. Finish the wine

in this field of air, return to the cemetery

in evening and wind through the stones

a slow dance of your name visible only to birds.

Jim Harrison, from SONGS OF UNREASON




How's things? OK, I hope, and I hope you will consider supporting this blog with a small donation, buying me a coffee through the (safe!) link below. It is appreciated.

Thanks, James 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.