5/24/2024

a wide splash of stars


My ethics, my sense of morality, my work ethic, my sense of compassion for suffering humanity, all of that comes directly out of the practice of poetry, as does my Buddhist practice. Poetry is a very important element in the history of Buddhism in general and in Zen in particular. It was really Zen that motivated me to change the way I perceive the world.

Sam Hamill

by Kay Nielson (1912)

A late morning rain
raindrops on the roof
the trees raise their arms in thanks
the tomato plants swell with happiness
that’s gaia’s music my friend

-------

That I might learn to replace guilt with humility, fear with courage, anger with forgiveness, greed with generosity. That I might use my time to do some measure of good.

-------

A wide splash of stars above the valley the waxing crescent moon has already set it’s quiet and still the streets are empty the universe is filled by this one moment

------

That which leaves us is gone
that which stays holds tight
the wind 
the water
after they’re gone 
the rock cliffs will hold on awhile
then they’ll be gone too
even the sun will explode
someday

James Lee Jobe



Please help support this blog with a small donation, below.

Thanks, James 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.