11/21/2023

Time that shines and sparkles.



Shining in moonlight.

The names of the days of the week. 

The names of the months. 

The numerals of the years. 

Individual dates. 

These things are now the decorations 

on my annual Christmas tree. 

See how they shine in the moonlight 

that comes in through the open window. 

Time that shines and sparkles. 

James Lee Jobe 




Body more perfect than wave,

salt washing the sea line,

and the shining bird

flying without ground roots.

Pablo Neruda



            When I change out my conure's birdseed I scattered the old seed out by our jasmine. As I write this sparrows have gathered to eat the seed and my dog is watching them through the glass patio door. I have a nice coffee and Gary Snyder's translations of Hanshan. A good morning. -JLJ


  
Carlo Ravaioli (Italy) "Modern Geometry" 2004



Trimming the peach tree. 

It is late winter, so I trimmed the peach tree. 

I have an old friend who is a tree-trimmer, 

and I seem to remember him telling me 

that's when to do it; that's when the sap is low. 

I went all over it, paring back the branches 

that would sag low from the weight of the fruit. 

The tree is about 12 feet tall now, 

it was 18 inches when I planted it years ago, 

back when we first bought this house. 

Watching it grow has given me much pleasure, 

and so have the peaches; last year, a drought year, 

they were small but absolutely delicious. 

This year the drought broke, 

it has rained like angels singing. 

And the tree is trimmed. 

Spring is a few weeks off yet. 

I pulled up a chair and sat under the tree for a while. 

Feel the love, my friend,

I am here for you. 

James Lee Jobe 





Please support this blog...with a cup of coffee. Thanks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.