8/30/2023

without horses or whiskey

Jason Scarpace


putah creek savors the moonlight 

a cool night    quiet 

there is a delta breeze 

an owl watches from an oak branch 

but doesn't ask 'who' 

moonlight shines across the moving water 

look at me   I'm still alive 


---


life is a confusing movie 

with a sudden end 

the actors are easily broken 

like chalk   like eggs 

they have no script to follow 

and there is no director 

the movie is a western 

but without horses or whiskey 

now you be quiet 

and pass the popcorn 


---


I used to try to think it all through 

     but no more 

     now I just try to feel it all 

I want to touch everything 

     and everyone 


---


when I weep 

         I want the whole world to be silent 

even the wind and the ocean 

        should just shut up for a little while


---


I have grown old but it's ok I like it 

and my wife is older than me 

but she seems younger 

I like that too 

I like so many things now 

old songs that I didn't like when they were new 

seeing someone else's footprint in the mud 

being sober all of the time 

and I especially enjoy not giving anyone advice 

that's all for now 

goodbye

poems by james lee jobe 


-----


"Hotei Bird and Monk" - Keith Abbott



Wake up, our ship has been ice-bound long enough, the time has come to sail the open seas. 

Rumi



Pease help support this blog with a small donation on the BUY ME A COFFEE link below. Every little bit helps! Thanks, jlj 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.