8/31/2023

Bird sounds and a thought of you, sir.

Jean Michel Basquiat - Philistines - 1982



father of mine

I live fifteen hundred miles from your grave

and I am standing in a small stand of pines

it is a gray and misty day

and somewhere close by a woodpecker is working

cold feet  bird sounds and a thought of you sir

see you are not forgotten 


-----


lives of sawdust and stardust 

sweats and sweets 

vowels and consonants 

one turns this way and that way 

until direction becomes meaningless 

of course there are good things 

a dog that stays close 

springtime 

a fine meal and nap 

children laughing 

love 


-----


I can face the darkness. I can take being alone through endless time, and facing this immense universe. It's not that I am particularly strong; I'm not. But I have something to see me through. He was real. He was alive and real and had love in his heart. He was my son and I love him. And that is mine to keep. Even death cannot change it.


-----


if every passing year held a price in dollars 

would you be ashamed to know the number 

would you complain when the annual bill came due 


-----


my childhood neighborhood 

was between two huge graveyards 

and we children played in them 

soldier or hide and go seek 

friend let me tell you something 

there are no ghosts


-----

by james lee jobe 


“What you remember saves you.”

W. S. Merwin



Jean Michel Basquiat - Fallen Angel - 1981

Please help support this blog with a small donation on the BUY ME A COFFEE link below. Every little bit helps! Thanks, jlj 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.