7/29/2023

a house named death sounds perfect

North Davis Pond, Davis CA, by me



"The only source of reliable information is poetry.”

Andrei Codrescu

a quick note for my wife

I look like a man but that is just a ruse I am stone cut from the bones of this world beaten and shaped by the river for over one hundred thousand years
dogs love me and crows avoid me and I love those large things that exist in this life a smile on the face of our grandchild a wind with the strength to uproot the old oaks a sun that passes behind the moon
and casts a shadow across the earth you my wife
are the river that changed me every year that passes is different from the one before thank you for that
I am writing this down so I don't forget to tell you
that happens a lot now I love the peace of you
looking at the miracle of your face it is easy to see that the cares of yesterday are gone when you awaken I must find out how you do that time and time again

james lee jobe



Jon Batiste - Blackbird




"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."

Bodhidharma








rising above all this

The dream was one thing at first and then it changed into another
for so it often is with dreams I was alone in a dark room
mentally reviewing all the slights of my lifetime
the first wife who ran off and slept with several of my friends
the job where I was screwed over things like that
and these were slights from my real life not just dream slights
that done I went over my failures one by one that list was far longer
really I failed that first wife any woman would have left me in those days
and truly I was lousy at that job I would have fired me too
I began to pray in my dream 'please show me how to rise above all this and live with some kindness in my heart'
and I woke up then it was the middle of the night
and the house was still and quiet
I wasn't sleepy anymore so I turned on a radio
there was a symphony playing
I didn't know what symphony it was and I didn't try to find out

james lee jobe




"We are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness." 

Thich Nhat Hanh




look this way the adventure is beginning

time has built a house out of reeds from the creek from milkweed and from the feathers lost by mockingbirds and larks the house is painted gray and black and has a name death so of course no one lives there it is dark inside and the windows are shuttered and make little creaking sounds when it is windy like in a movie I am going into that house because I need a new place to die so a house named death sounds perfect isn't it grand how sometimes everything in life just works out on its own

james lee jobe




"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." 

Abraham Lincoln






Please help support this blog with a small donation on the BUY ME A COFFEE link below. Every little bit helps! 

Thanks, jlj 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.