5/29/2023

Strong books and stronger coffee




strong books and stronger coffee

a fine dog and a finer wife 

a house that is old but comfortable 

and so my old age passes 

one day at a time

---

The street is lit with the beam of years, the swallow and crush of living, and the kindest thoughts of solace. We are the cherubs in an ancient painting, we are the stone gargoyles that protect the stone grayness of the buildings. Moonlight to dress the city for bed. Moonlight to court and seduce those who need to be courted, those who lack seduction. The old clock in the tower strikes midnight and the gates to the next world open; dreams pour into this world and our lives pour into the next one. Are you coming, my friend? This is the hour for which you have waited so very long. 

---

I have been pretending to belong in this world for 66 years

and I have always known better 

---

From falsehood, may I find truth. From despair, may I find hope. From hate, may I find love. From death, may I find life. From the darkness, may I find the light. For these things I pray.

---

my mother pretended that our family was normal 

between her and my father were eight marriages 

I have some stepsiblings that I have never even met 

that's normal 

she beat us    a belt    a ladle    or her hands 

whatever was fastest 

he abandoned us again and again 

once in a bus station 

and that's normal 

my mother was born a presbyterian   became a catholic 

and had a baptist funeral 

I was born a catholic and became  in order  an athiest 

a unitarian universalist   and a buddhist 

I never heard my father or my sister say 

one word about their beliefs   not ever 

that's normal  right 

my sister left home at 15   settled 100 miles away

I left at 17   settled 1500 miles away 

normal 

both parents are gone and while I love them

I don't miss either one 

I miss my sister but we are so different 

that it's hard to be around her 

look at us   the perfect american family

---

Grief. One moment it seems like it might let me pass, like perhaps it forgot about me, then it remembers me and lays me down again.

--

You are a pitcher of cool water; the more thirsts you quench, the more you need to be refilled yourself. Is it night? Then be filled with moonlight, starlight, darkness. Is it day? Then raise your arms to the sunlight, the warmth. Praise that which is greater, both within and without. 


james lee jobe


Joni Mitchell, California 


I am everything you lost. You won't forgive me. 

My memory keeps getting in the way of your history. 

Aga Shahid Ali

---

A goalless practice is about being right here in each moment without any conceptual objective in mind. It means putting the brakes on constantly doing, and starting to just be in the world as you are.

Anthony Tshering 

---

A sleepless spring night; yearning for what I never had, and for what I never was. 

Richard Wright


SANCTUARY, by Darren Moore

If kindness isn't a part of life, then life doesn't make much sense. Maybe you'll cross paths today with somebody who could use a smile or a break. Why not give it to them?

Please help support this blog with a small donation on the BUY ME A COFFEE link below. Every little bit helps! Thanks, jlj 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.