3/29/2023

fields of corn and sunflowers

Painting by DIEGO RIVERA. 'Sugar Cane.'


The labor in the fields.
Your life was once a field of corn.
Your life was once a field of sunflowers,
a field of alfalfa. A field of wheat.
With hoe and seed and water and sweat
we worked the fields of the living
under the watchful eye of the sun.
Then, in the darkness between those days,
we worked the fields of the dead.

James Lee Jobe 


Everything is perfect and there is always room for improvement.

Shunryu Suzuki


Responses that arise from the subconscious often don’t make sense initially, but if we keep following the threads without judgment, it all eventually becomes clear.

Lama Palden Drolma

U2, Where The Streets Have No Name 


May the sorrows and hurts, each as they come, only strengthen my resolve to be a better person, and also this; that from these sorrows and hurts I learn all over again how to forgive. 

James Lee Jobe 


Please support this blog with a small donation through the the Buy Me A Coffee link at the bottom of the page. Thanks.


We were created to look at one another, weren’t we?

Edgar Degas

Still life painting by Vincent van Gogh

Focus, not on the rudenesses of others, not on what they've done or left undone, but on what you have and haven't done yourself.

The Dhammapada


The sky was doused with gasoline,
and set on fire. I raised my hands
up into the flame without hesitation,
but, friend, I did not burn.
The fat in the sky melted
and dripped down onto the earth,
making rivers, making the oceans.
ashes came down, too,
Making the hills and mountains.
The fire burned for a million years.
the smoke was thick and curly,
like a young girl's hair.
I twisted one curl-lock around my finger,
again and again.
It felt very human to do so.
Looking up, the girl smiled at me, and then
she cupped my face with her perfect hands.

James Lee Jobe

Of all the words that pour out of our mouths every day, how many of them are really ours, and how many are patched together from others?

Haemin Sunim 



Still life painting by Claude Monet


I proceed by trial and error.

Bridget Riley, artist



Link: Mouth, a poem by Dana Roeser


Link: The Sound Of Music, a poem by Kathryn Nuernberger


Please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. It's done safely online, and just takes a moment. I could use the supplement since my mobility issues no longer allow me to work. This and Social Security are my income. Thanks! 

jlj 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.