1/30/2023

eggs, bees and the big spoon



god is an empty carton of eggs 

or would be if there was a god 

and I had eaten all of the eggs 

-


A hummingbird, bright green, quite lovely,
appears out of nowhere, hovering,
watching me water the garden. A simple act
that occupies us both. I wonder
if he is as entertained as I am?
a fine morning, this one,
a fine life here in the Sacramento Valley.


-


The secrets of living welcome us like bees, like honey. Will tomorrow come? And if it does, will it come for us?


-


As a boy, my mother would paddle me with a metal serving ladle. It hurt like hell and I called it The Big Spoon. If I was on the edge of being in trouble, and I often was, my mother would scream, “Jimmy! I’m going to get The Big Spoon.” Her booming voice carried across the rowhouses of Baltimore. It was a voice from Hell. Sixty years on, I wonder what the neighbors thought.


-

james lee jobe 





At the bottom of great doubt lies great awakening. If you doubt fully, you will awaken fully.


Hakuin




Protest beyond the law is not a departure from democracy; it is absolutely essential to it. 


Howard Zinn



Nothing is merely a means to an end, nothing is merely a step on the path to somewhere else. Every moment, everything, is absolutely foundational in its own right. 


Barry Magid



My witness is the empty sky. 


Jack Kerouac 


 

Charlie Parker, A Night In Tunisia



In Kyoto,

hearing the cuckoo,

I long for Kyoto.


Matsuo Basho, 1644-1694 CE



Link: The Poetry Podcast With Really Nasty Language






If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. (Not every time you come here, just maybe once in awhile.) It's done safely online, and just takes a moment. I could use the supplement since my mobility issues no longer allow me to work. Thanks! 

-jlj 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.