1/29/2023

pulling a fire behind yourself



There was no one else on the road to honk and scream at so I honked at the moon and screamed at the stars . 4 AM in Yolo County, California. The Wolf Moon of January. 

-

Look up, I am bathing in the clouds. High above this long, green valley, high above the river. The air is cool, and I am clean. I have wanted to be clean for so long now. My body is below, lying still and dirty on the ground. I can hear my wife crying, but I am rising up past the clouds now. Free. Clean at long last. 

-

America doesn't need a wall. It needs a giant mirror, to look at itself.

-

You are naked, wounded, covered with dirt, and you are pulling a fire behind yourself as you stagger across the troubled face of this world, dragging it with a long rope. These are the days of hunger and exhaustion. Now the sky has opened its mouth and roared like a lion, like an old man. Like an old woman. Now the river is a sin of tears. You own your life, and nothing else. One step follows another, and the fire burns on. The earth again turns away from the sun, and darkness slams shut the door of light and being. You walk alone through the shallow night. Will morning come? Yes, of course. But when?

-

Money? No. Contentment is wealth.

-

james lee jobe 


A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.

Jack London


A person who is not loving has not experienced love. It is not his fault. Realizing this gives rise to forgiveness. We vow that suffering will stop with us.

Guo Jun


Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

George Carlin


Link: Pound and Brodsky in Venice, a poem Megan Fernandes 


Link: From the Stone Age, a poem by Alice Corbin Henderson




If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. (Not every time you come here, just maybe once in awhile.) It's done safely online, and just takes a moment. I could use the supplement since my mobility issues no longer allow me to work. Thanks! 

-jlj 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.