1/24/2023

the seed I scatter


(All of the images today are street art from Madrid, Spain.)

 

How sublime of you, sister 

to teach me to read 

two years before I began school 

such a fine foothold 

for you to give me, a gift 

I remember, even now 

how grand it felt to see a word 

and recognize it, to understand 

and when I was twelve 

another gift from you, sister

a new set of encyclopedias 

with a two-volume dictionary 

and a set of classic novels 

all with matching bindings 

so lovely, so well made  

you included Shakespeare’s sonnets 

the world opened up for me 

my big sister, my friend 

thank you

james lee jobe




Sparrows come for the seed I scatter on the patio 

sometimes this pair of doves will join them in the feast 

but no others 

this wide valley is full of birds 

pigeons    hummingbirds   shrikes 

chickadees   swallows   bushtits 

but only the sparrows and the two doves 

come to my patio to eat 

I like to think that they are keeping it a secret 

ssh!

james lee jobe 





Teenage James. In the living room my mother had this picture of Jesus. If you looked at it one way Jesus was suffering on the cross, but if you moved your head a little Jesus was healed, dressed in white, and rising up through the air, presumably to heaven. That was the room where I most enjoyed making out with my girlfriends, under the watchful eye of Christ. I am certain that He approved.

james lee jobe 






He who binds to himself a joy
Doth the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity’s sunrise.

William Blake




If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. (Not every time you come here, just maybe once in awhile.) It's done safely online, and just takes a moment. I could use the supplement since my mobility issues no longer allow me to work. Thanks!

jlj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.