8/10/2024

a sandwich in new orleans

Jane Ray


my country is the sledgehammer that we use 

when we smash rocks into gravel 

and when we are finished with the rocks 

we beat on the gravel even more 

in this way our country is even in the dust 

that we breathe 

god bless america

james lee jobe 



"We are not born to survive. Only to live."

W. S. Merwin



In my dream I was returning to New Orleans to eat a sandwich. It seemed perfectly normal to do this. I rode a bicycle with ladders tied to the sides, long ways. Cumbersome, sure, this also seemed like a perfectly normal thing to be doing. And New Orleans is only a couple of thousand miles away. The dream changed into some problem with my mother, who seemed to be a different woman than my actual mother and I had to keep squinting my eyes to see her. That was OK, too. I never got to New Orleans and I never ate the sandwich. Somewhere along the way I lost the bike with the ladders, in some endless shopping mall. And the problem with my new mother was never resolved. Good morning. Did you sleep well? Did you dream?

james lee jobe



Rather than assuming you will know how people will act, take a deep breath and open yourself to the possibility that today is a new day.

Yael Shy, “Five Practices for Your Daily Commute”



the endless pale heavens call to me again 

reminding me that i am alive and free 

now 

this moment

james lee jobe



Jane Ray


links:

They Sit Together on the Porch, a poem by Wendell Berry 

Alone in bed thinking about another breakup, a poem by Ty Chapman


If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. Thanks! 

jlj 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.