7/26/2024

nyc in 1838

K. Wayne Thornley




I thought I heard my woman cry, but no, it was the dogs of my heart. 


A hard night and a hard day. The mass was in Latin, 

And was hollow in the way that the wind is sometimes hollow, 

And for a moment I was a boy again. 

The moment passed, leaving me as empty as ever. 

The jigsaw puzzle of this life has always lacked some key pieces. 

There was never a shallow end in this pool, 

And there was never a lifeguard. Swim at your own damn risk. 

The weather was turning cold, geese flew overhead, 

And above them were the damned airplanes. 

The street was completely empty, there was no one there but me. 

I wanted to weep and rend my garment, but I had no reason. 

When I walked my footsteps seemed loud and cruel, 

Like hammers on steel. I thought I heard my woman cry, 

But no, it wasn't her. It was the dogs of my heart.


james lee jobe



artist unknown 



it is 1838


it is early when we go to bed and then 

we are dreaming. we are in new york city, 

walking through a huge library that is like 

a confusing maze. we are going down 

steps that are so small that we are 

almost stumbling. we need a particular 

book from 1838 that no one wants us 

to have. people trick us, and create 

false clues for us to follow. time passes. 

and when, during the search, we are alone 

in secret moments, we kiss in the shadows. 

passion. love. we find a map of new york 

from 1838, and now we are stepping 

into the map. we are symbols of us 

moving down long lines labeled 

broadway and chatham and whitehall. 

we are holding hands and there is no 

end to this in sight. we wake up. 

it is midnight, exactly.  we make some

tea and sit down to write a poem. 


james lee jobe 



K. Wayne Thornley


The Buddha is here, there, and everywhere.

B. D. Schiers




Since the time we were born from our mother's womb, the only thing we have seen is the present. We have never seen the past and we have never seen the future. Wherever we are, whatever time it is, it is only the present.

Khenpo Tsultrim Rinpoche





If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. (Not every time you come here, just maybe once in awhile.)  Thanks!

jlj 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.