9/04/2023

roots down and branches up


pablo picasso 1935


you rise up from a seed
first you push through the soil of your lineage
fertilized with love and faith and hope
and then the sapling of your youth breaks into the air
into the light
leaf by leaf you spread through this life
roots down and branches up
sun and rain
the sap in your veins
you are shade and strength
the wood of years
the tree that lives on and on
dropping your own seed for the next generation

__________

A rare glimpse of an owl hunting in the park. I imagine a field mouse running for its life. Watching, I feel so hollow. I am a steel tube. Something is missing inside of me. Empty. What? The owl rises back up from the field, flapping hard. She has something in her claw, but I can't tell what it is. A slow mouse, perhaps. She lands high up in one the tall pines to eat in privacy. 

__________


another poet asked me 
"how can you write poems everyday"
"how can you not write them" says I

james lee jobe

__________



There is no such thing as defeat in non-violence.

Cesar Chavez




Please help support this blog with a small donation on the BUY ME A COFFEE link below. Every little bit helps! Thanks, jlj 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.