1/06/2023

finding courage, wisdom, and kindness

 

A still from Cabaret.


Liza Minnelli in the sky.


I see I have arrived a little late 

for the end of my life. 

I have been in no hurry, and it's true 

that I get distracted quite easily. 

An owl hoots and I might listen 

for a couple of years. 

And that cloud - it looks like a flower, 

No, it looks like Liza Minnelli. 

The dinner last night took me 

several months to prepare. 

Just slow down everyone, 

What’s the hurry? Let Death wait a bit. 

Why miss out on all the wonder? 


james lee jobe 



I want you to know that I love your ordinariness, because I, too, am ordinary. The truth is, we are all ordinary.

 Haemin Sunim


jlj


May I find a way to heal that which needs healing—

In myself, in others, and in the world.

May I find the courage, wisdom, and kindness to do this.


james lee jobe 



Forever is composed of nows.

Emily Dickinson


jlj


Drink up the river. 


If you find yourself hungry for the past,

eat the soil, eat the air. Drink up the river.

To be hungry for the past? That’s a losing proposition.

You’ll never scratch that itch. The past

is nothing but empty calories,

you can't feed off of that for long and live.

And if you are hungry for the future? 

That’s just a different kind of junk food.

So eat the soil, eat the air. Drink up the river. 

There is only now, nothing more.

Dinner time is now.


james lee jobe



Gazing Out From The Upper Terrace, Farewell To Li


In farewell on the errace, we gaze

across boundless plains and rivers.


It is duck. Birds in flight returning,

travelers setting out -- it never ends.


Wang Wei, 701-721 CE



Charles Mingus, Devil's Blues

If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. It's done safely online, and just takes a moment.Thanks!

jlj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.