1/12/2023

cousin eddie and the president


 

My cousin Eddie didn’t rise up in the sky

and neither did Jesus. Eddie lived a wounded life, a short life, 

like a carrot in the garden, partially eaten by a raccoon. 

If his life had been a book 

the pages would have been filled with confusion. 

There was a pond just beyond sight from my father’s house, 

Eddie and I would swim there. 

A big turtle watched us and we watched back. 

My cousin’s life was cut short 

and when it was over he did not rise up into the sky, 

and neither did Jesus. 

And neither will you or I. 

james lee jobe



The Boy with a Flower Behind His Ear, a poem by Rick Barot


Since your mind is with you wherever you go, you need to sit down and start unwinding your ball of yarn. 

Jakusho Kwong-roshi



I bet every President dreams about pushing that button. 

Mushroom clouds and infernos. 

Radiation that cooks people like a giant microwave oven. 

Maybe the President would have the Secret Service drive 

to the drive-through at McDonalds – with the the briefcase. 

The President of the United States getting started on a Big Mac 

and fries and then hitting that button while eating. 

“Would you like the extra-large shake with that?” 

“Why yes, I would.” 

james lee jobe



Ahmad Jamal, April In Paris


When there's a disappointment, I don't know if it's the end of the story. It may just be the beginning of a great adventure.


If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. (Not every time you come here, just maybe once in awhile.) Thanks!

jlj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.