1/08/2023

eat your oatmeal


 

Cleaning a dry-erase board with apple-butter.

There are so many chemicals in the air today that I am afraid to strike a match for fear of igniting the planet. The bees are leaving and I don’t blame them, perhaps being extinct would be an improvement for humans as well. When does today become tomorrow? I’m asking for a friend. I’m certain that it isn’t at midnight. And if two apples are a pair, why doesn’t my pear tree know this? Of course it was just a dream; I was dreaming. You can’t clean a dry-erase board with apple-butter. For a dry-erase board, you need an eraser, and for apple-butter, well, some toast would be nice.

james lee jobe


I prayed like a man walking in a forest at night, feeling his way with his hands, at each step fearing to fall into pure bottomlessness forever. Prayer is like lying awake at night, afraid, with your head under the cover, hearing only the beating of your own heart.

Wendell Berry



Chic Corea, Dear Alice


Eating breakfast like Christmas morning.

This valley is big, twenty thousand square miles, and you can walk all of them without ever finding Jesus. But I see Jesus in my fry bread, you say. Jesus speaks to me through a tiny mouth in my smelly old calloused heel. There is no Jesus, and there is no Santa Claus, no Bigfoot, no space aliens, and no Loch Ness monster. Some things just aren’t worth belief, so shut up and eat your oatmeal. Merry Christmas.

james lee jobe



After Lunch After eating lunch, I feel so sleepy. Waking later, I sip two bowls of tea, then notice shadows aslant, the sun already low in the southwest again. Joyful people resent fleeting days. Sad ones can't bear the slow years. It's those with no joy and no sorrow— they trust whatever this life brings.

Po Chü-i, 772-846 CE


If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. Thanks!

jlj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.