12/27/2022

a city of trees

 


There was an old iron bridge across the river, in the bottom land, hidden from the houses by many trees. We would meet there. Willows and Cottonwoods kept watch for us. The river wound toward the sea like a fat brown snake. We spun ourselves into a wheel of flesh, far from the eyes of judgement. Our skin was shiny with sweat. Late into the night we would spin and spin. 

james lee jobe 



for my dead & loved ones, a poem by Ntozake Shange



Before we can be free, we need to be able to imagine ourselves free.

Koshin Paley Ellison






This town, this place where I live, 
is a town of trees, a city of trees. 
Living here with me are valley oaks 
and blue oaks, Oregon ash and gray pine, 
cottonwoods and willows and mulberry. 
And squirrels, magpies, owls and raccoons. 
Come on. A lovely day is upon us.

james lee jobe



To Mycorrhizae Under Our Mother’s Garden,
a poem by Brenda Hillman




Dexter Gordon, Doin' Alright 


In Western Civilization, our elders are books. 

Gary Snyder 



Where is the dark seed 
that grows the forget-you plant? 
Searching, now I see 
it grows in the frozen heart 
of one who has murdered love. 

The Monk Sosei, 844-910 CE






Willing myself to become invisible, I walk right out of the prison.
But friend, are you truly free if not even one person can see you? 

james lee jobe



Via Negativa Daily Digest, a poem by Luisa A. Igloria



Poetic Justice? I stand 
alone with my thoughts 
as the crickets cry, 
wild pink mountin blossoms 
swirling in gathering dusk. 

The Monk Sosei, 844-910 CE  



Dexter Gordon, Ladybird 


Hello. James Lee here. If you enjoy this blog, and I hope that you do, please consider making a donation through the BUY ME A COFFEE button below. It's done safely online, and just takes a moment. I could use the supplement since my mobility issues no longer allow me to work. Thanks! -jlj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.